Sunday 30 November 2008

First Job of the Day


My first job of the day is go up in to the woods at the back of our cottage, and cut some firewood ready for the evening. I really enjoy this, as it's good, physical work (and much more fun than the gym!) and it also means we get to keep warm for free! I gather old, fallen logs and branches, then saw them up with my trusty old hand-saw. I really, really wanted a chain saw - but then I thought, it's just lazy - get working with a normal saw, the old-fashioned way! Here are tonights logs in my Radio Flyer. It's a cool little red truck which I think is made in the US for pulling small children along! My Radio Flyer is from the 60's and is very retro. I think people here use them for transporting beer at festivals, but I don't really drink that much beer, or go to festivals, so I use it for logs!

4 comments:

quiltcat said...

Hi Liz. Lovely old red wagon! And nice that you're able to heat with wood. Yep, they're used in the States to pull children...or for children to pull their toys in. I've wanted a chainsaw to keep up with the brush and fallen branches around here, but decided against it for similar reasons...it's good exercise using the handsaw, it's one less thing that needs gasoline, and besides...it's a lot less easier to hurt myself with the handsaw. Full sized chainsaws are a bit scary in their noise and power!

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Liz, that's great that you can collect wood in your backyard for your heat. Unfortunately when we built our house it was on a shoestring and we never had the $ for a chimney and we still don't. D always wanted to build a Russian fireplace for they can burn anything including twigs or whatever one can find. We collect wood when we take walks even driftwood from the beach in hopes that someday will will have a chimney so we can heat with wood. It's good to have an alternative heat source for the price of fuel went up so much and when you lose power from a storm, there goes the heat! Good thing you didn't get a chain saw...very dangerous!
It's getting dark and a cold rain is falling...maybe it will mix with snow...good to be inside!
take care,
Nan

Anonymous said...

There's something very satisfying about doing things without the help of modern gadgets isn't there? Your arm muscles must be impressive AND without going to the boring old gym!x

Ronnie said...

Liz, I haven't a clue how you found my new blog, but it is such fun to hear from someone in Scotland that was just out chopping wood! I have always wanted to visit Scotland. Being a Gunn and all. I made it as far as London once, but ran out of cash and time. Glad you found me.
I am eagerly awaiting your future rantings from the cottage.
Ronnie - in a small town in Georgia where all my boys had radio flyers.