Saturday 23 January 2010

Getting started!


It's all very well when you go to a meeting, and show people stuff, and they like it and say 'Yes, great, we want to go with it....' Then you have to come up with the goods, and actually get the job done! I am trying not to be like a frightened (Stepford) Rabbit, frozen in headlights, and move this project along to its next step. I thought if I could get a decent working rough of the whole thing, that would be a good starting point for the publishers to comment / change / edit / abort (Well, hopefully not abort!) So, that's my task for the weekend; no fancy wine bars, retail therapy or ballgowns for me! Nah, I don't do any of that stuff...well, the bit about retail therapy is true! Oh, any advice would be welcome - I am kind of copying what I've seen other people do on the web, as I haven't a clue really!

9 comments:

Jess said...

Liz this is SO exciting! Well done, I can't wait to see the finished book! I'm afraid I'm as much a novice as you, maybe more so because I haven't written a book! Good luck and I'm so excited for you.x

Buskitten said...

Hi Jessie - nor have I!! I'm rubbish and it's really hard. This only a load of info for kids about saving energy - not exactly the cutting edge of children's literature, haha! But it's soooo hard! I'm on about version 5 already, it keeps going wrong! xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Liz - I echo Jessie's comment 'this is so exciting' - well done to you. You remind me of Beatrice Potter who never gave up!! :)

quiltcat said...

Hi Liz. You've gotten so far, don't give up on yourself! And i'm sure it's not easy putting a book together...it requires a person with special talents that you have! Looking at Lynne Chapman's and Jackie Morris's blogs, i've come to realize how very much hard work (and time)is involved in putting out a children's picture book. Good luck! (and try to have fun *g*)

Laurie said...

Liz, there are plenty of times when I haven't the foggiest idea of what I am doing, but there is always some kind person out there willing to offer kind advice. Let us all know when it is on sale, please.
Signed - The Blackpool Kid! x

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Liz,
Oh, I'm so happy for you...been so amazing to see how all of the steps you have taken have led to this. I know you will put together a wonderful book. Wish I had some advice as to the process but I don't really know either!
Best of luck!

Owen said...

Completely thrilling... I second Laurie... do let us know when it goes on sale !

You must be as excited as a flea at a dog show !

Good luck, hope all goes well !

Ronnie said...

Waiting patiently for the outcome. :D

Vintage Vacations said...

Hey, good luck - what a lovely idea :-)